Thursday, February 18, 2010

Home cooked meal

Now that Kate is eating solid foods, I have been enjoying making her food purees for her. I have nothing against store-bought baby food, but I prefer giving her something that I made fresh. So far I have made her carrots, peas, butternut squash, pears, sweet potato/broccoli, and tomato/potato/cheese. Yesterday I made Kate some more butternut squash. Last time I made her some squash it took me about 45 minutes just to figure out how to peel the darn thing. I finally figured out that all it requires is a good, sharp knife. This time around it took me half as long to prepare the entire thing. The squash was steamed for about 15 minutes and then pureed in my food processor. Once it was the right consistency I divided it up in ice trays and put it in the freezer.
Everyday I can pull out an individual serving of food from the freezer, thaw it out and serve it to Kate. So far her favorite foods are carrots or pear and oatmeal with cinnamon.


I hope that after all the hard work of making Kate's food she will enjoy what she is eating. Last night she wasn't too thrilled with the squash and sweet potatoes I was feeding her. I think we will blame her teething. ;-)
"I would like to make you an offer you can't refuse."Yesterday I also gave Kate some finger food to try. She figured out how to feed herself the baby veggie cheeto I gave her. She first picked it up like a cigar but then she quickly realized that it would be easier if she gripped it differently.

3 comments:

Liz said...

How fun! One tip on the squash - you could just cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then oven roast on an oiled sheet (or just in a little water) for about an hour. Then use half for Kate and half to make you and Will and yummy soup! And then the skin easily slips off without danger of cutting fingers. :)

I'm all about less work - I always did other stuff while the squash was roasting.

Laura said...

Melissa, I am so impressed - you have a way of making even ground baby food look tasty! :) And I commend you-- as much as most store-bought foods are probably fine-- for making your own baby food from scratch... I'm guessing it's that much more nutritious for your darling girl, without any sort of factory process/ chemicals!

Amy said...

Ha ha ha ha! I love the caption to the cheeto pic!