Thursday, March 4, 2010

The end to a noble experiment

For the past month or so Kate has been in the habit of waking up in the middle of the night crying. Every time she wakes up I have been going into her room, picking her up and swaying her back to sleep while listening to some Colbie Caillat. Recently she has been waking up more than once and swaying hasn't been working so I have been nursing her back to sleep. Needless to say it has been very frustrating being woken up in the middle of the night when I know she can sleep for 10 hours straight without needing me.

This past week I decided to try an experiment and let Kate cry it out in the middle of the night. Monday night she woke up twice, cried for 30 seconds and fell back asleep. Yay! I was thinking this was going to be an easy experiment. Tuesday night she didn't wake up at all so I thought all of our problems were solved. Wednesday night was a totally different story...After sleeping for 2 solid hours Kate woke up crying so I camped outside her bedroom door and prayed she would fall asleep soon. Her cry sounded very tired but after 3 minutes it escalated to a scream. I let her scream for another minute but it was obvious she was not going to be able to calm down so I went into her room to soothe her. As I picked her up from her crib she started to cough and gag from all the crying. Before I knew it she had projectile vomited all over her, the carpet and me. I yelled for Will to come help, threw on the bedroom lights, and placed her on the changing table so Will could change her pajamas while I cleaned myself up. She screamed and screamed while she was being changed and turned red in the face. It was very sad! To calm her down I nursed her and thankfully she fell fast asleep for the rest of the night.

I feel like an awful mom after that experience. How I could let her cry hard enough to make her vomit? I think my experiment will be put on hold for at least another month. :-\

I had to include a picture of Kate in this posting so here is a picture taken the other morning while she was playing with a calculator.

No comments: